Library Email Notifications
As a reminder, you will receive an email in your @ualberta.ca account:
- three days before material is due
- on the day that the material is due
- when material is two days overdue
- when material is seven days overdue
- when material is 31 days overdue (assumed lost)
- when material is recalled
- when requested books are available for pick-up
- with a monthly summary of fines owed
Library Privileges & Responsibilities
Use of the University Library is a privilege with associated responsibilities for all clients. Within the parameters of the policies, no user should be unduly disadvantaged through the use or abuse of the library by another client, whatever client group.
To keep track of your library materials, holds, and fines, please use My Account.
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Max Renewals||Fines per item|
|U of A Books||
See note below on Recalls
|Non-U of A Material||2 weeks||2||$1.00/day|
|U of A Periodicals||2 weeks||1||
|Specialized materials (multimedia, sound recordings, gov't docs, microform, curriculum, etc)||Varies (check with library)||4||
|U of A Reserve items||2 hrs (Law: 1 day)||None||
|U of A Recalled books||7 days fm date of email notification||None||
Number of items that can be borrowed: Unlimited
Recalls: After items have been signed out for two weeks, they can be RECALLED for use by others. If your book is recalled, you will have SEVEN DAYS from the date of email notification to return it to a UofA library, regardless of the original due date of your item. If you plan to be out of town for an extended period, ensure that you either return library materials before you leave or leave them somewhere where a colleague or family member can return them for you.
Renewal: U of Alberta books may be renewed up to four times if no other user needs the item. Renewal limits for most other NEOS Libraries is two renewals. If you still need material after your renewal limit has been reached, you will need to bring the material back to the library. It will then be discharged, and you may sign out the material again, as long as no one else has placed a hold on it.
Fines are charged at the rates outlined in the table above to a maximum of $31.00 per item.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Borrowing privileges will be suspending when: 1) bills/accruing fines total over $50.00; 2) materials are overdue for more than 31 days (items will then be considered lost and a charge of $150.00 will be added to your account); or 3) when Recalled material is not returned by the revised due date.
Lost Book Charge
Before paying a lost book charge, it's a good idea to contact the owning library first to determine whether the book may have been returned without being discharged, and for material belonging to non-U of Alberta Libraries, to determine policies and procedures regarding payment for lost books. Lost book charges for books owned by non-U of Alberta NEOS Libraries must be paid to the owning library.
There will be a charge of $150.00 for each lost item. If a lost item is found and returned after a lost book charge has been paid, a refund will issued up to one year after payment of the lost book charge. The found material must be returned direclty to a Service Desk before initiating the refund process. $31.00 late fines will still apply.
- Discretionary fine (for breach of regulations, abuse of privileges, etc): $50.00
- NSF Cheque Charge: $25.00
- Rebinding/repair charges for items returned damaged: Charges will vary
- Return materials on time
- Check your date due slip or My Account
- Check your @ualberta.ca email for Recall and Due Date notices
- Renew material online at www.library.ualberta.ca/my account or by calling the library at 780-492-4174
- Plan for out of town stays by returning material that might be recalled before you leave
Paying Fines and Lost Book Charges:
Fines payments are no longer accepted at UAlberta Library Service desks. Below are the options for paying Library fines:
- Online payment can be made via My Account (Use CCID login)
- Self-service machines: Credit card and debit card payment can be made using self-service machines in Rutherford, Cameron, Coutts (Education), John Walter Scott (Health Sciences), and Bibliotheque Sait-Jean libraries.
- InfoLink: Cash and ONECard payments can be made in-person at any InfoLink location. Please refer to InfoLink website for hours of operation.
- By Mail: Cheques should be made payable to University of Alberta Library and include your ONEcard/Library Barcode Number or Student ID Number on the back of the cheque. If your cheque does not already include your current address and telephone number, include this information on the cheque as well. Mail cheque to:
Financial Systems and Analysis Office
University of Alberta Libraries
5th Floor, Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2J8
- By Phone: For those who do not have a CCID login or online access, credit card payments can be made be by phone by calling Library Financial Services and Analysis Office at 780-492-8320, Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:00. If you leave a voicemail, provide only your name and phone number. Do NOT leave your credit card number on the voicemail. FSA will normally return calls on the same day, except for messages left towards the end of business hours.
Fine Appeals: If you feel your fine is not valid, please submit a Fines Appeal Form.
Fine Refund: To request a refund, please complete and submit the Refund Form.
Lifting of Encumbrances:
If you are being blocked ("encumbered") from registering or your transcripts and/or degree certificate are being withheld due to unpaid fines, encumbrances will be lifted upon payment of outstanding fines.
Encumbrances are lifted at the top of the hour hourly between 8:00 am and midnight and then again at 2:00 am, Mon-Sun with the exception of the Christmas period when the university is closed. Please note: Fines payments received less than fifteen minutes before the hour will not clear an individual's encumbrance until the next hour. For fines payments received after 1:45 am encumbrances will not be lifted until 8:00 am.
If you have paid your fine in full, and your encumbrance is not lifted within the expected time period as specified above, please contact any UAlberta library public service desk.