Government Information at the University of Alberta Libraries
Government information includes documents and publications produced by governmental agencies.
These resources can be found in all UofA Libraries in various formats (e.g., paper, electronic, microformats). Use the research guides linked from the tabs above to identify and locate government information by jurisdiction.
TUTORIAL: Introduction to Government Information
This tutorial was created for graduate students in the Library and Information Studies Program at the University of Alberta. It provides a basic introduction to government information with a focus on Canadian government publications and documents.
Government Information in the News
- October 20, 2014: Federal Libraries Continue Their Mission in the Face of Challenges. Information Today.
- October 8, 2014: CRL to Digitize Endangered Foreign Publications. Free Government Information.
- August 28, 2014: Landmark civil rights legal records deleted from Pacer. BBC News.
- July 20, 2014: Twitter account tracks anonymous Wiki edits from House of Commons IP addresses. Toronto Star.
- May 16, 2014: Thousands of pages of parliamentary records set to go public. CBC News.
- May 5, 2014: Library changes seen as risk to Health Canada's credibility, Managers shared consultant's concerns about impact on decision-making, documents show. CBC News.
- April 23, 2014: Pile of records to land on Truth and Reconciliation Commission's doorstep. CTV News.
- January 27, 2014: Library cuts in more than a dozen government departments trigger fears of lost knowledge. Vancouver Sun.
- January 20, 2014: Health Canada library changes leave scientists scrambing. CBC News.
- January 6, 2014: Fisheries and Oceans library closings called loss to science. CBC News
- November 4, 2013: Op-Ed: Farewell to Depository Services, a building block of democracy. Ottawa Citizen
- October 2, 2013: Blacked Out Government Websites Available Through Wayback Machine. Internet Archive Blog
- October 1, 2013: Following the Government Shutdown. Sunlight Foundation.
- US Government shutdown and the impact on access to US governemnt information
- September 2, 2013: Release of government documents backlogged. By Fiona Buchanan, Postmedia News.
- cessation of Cabinet records being transferred to Library and Archives Canada
- August 29, 2013: Library and Archives Canada and Canadiana.org partner on digitization, online publication of millions of images from archival microfilm collection. News Release, Library and Archives Canada.
Government Information Librarian