This guide provides selective resources available at the University of Alberta or through the Internet for Map / Cartographic Materials.
WILLIAM C. WONDERS MAP COLLECTION
The William C. Wonders Map Collection is the largest academic map collection in Canada (over 550,000 maps) and is the second largest collection in Canada. The largest is the Library and Archives Canada (formerly the National Archives) in Ottawa with over 2 million maps.
- The main collection is located on the fourth floor of Cameron Library.
- The archival and rare maps and atlases are kept in the Map Room, also located on the fourth floor of Cameron.
- Air photos, superceded maps and some other older materials are at the BARD (Book and Record Depository - an off-campus facility).
The collection has maps from all over the world, but the major regions covered are:
- Canada, especially western and northern Canada
- United States
- Europe: Austria-Hungary, France, Germany, Great Britain, Poland, Ukraine, USSR
Both thematic and series (topographic/geographical) maps make up the collections. The most used section of the collection is the Canada 1:50,000 topographic series.
Searching our Collection
To locate cartographic materials in the University of Alberta Libraries:
1) Search in the NEOS Libraries catalogue (excludes most pre-1995 maps) by keyword, title or subject.
e.g. To find maps of "Provincial Parks" in Alberta using the NEOS Libraries catalogue enter the words Alberta and Provincial Parks and map into the "Find Items" search box. Choose "anyfield" from the drop-down menu, and click Search.
To search the William C. Wonders Map Collection database for maps of "Provincial Parks" in Alberta, enter Alberta and Provincial Parks into the "Keyword Search".
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton AB Canada
SimplyMap is an award-winning web-based mapping application that changes the way people use and interact with complex data.
SimplyMap enables non-technical and advanced users to quickly create professional thematic maps and reports using powerful demographic, business, and marketing data.