ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database
Find U of A-Authored Theses and Dissertations: Library Catalogue
The Library Catalogue (below) is the recommended way to search for theses and dissertions produced at U of A.
- Search by Author, Title, Keyword (set the dropdown menu to "any field")
- Search by Department
- gets you all theses and dissertations associated with that department
- example: keyword search "university of alberta dept of english" (note: you must use the abbreviation "dept", not "department")
Find U of A-Authored Theses and Dissertations: Other Sources
IMPORTANT AVAILABILITY NOTE:
At the University of Alberta, newly approved student theses and dissertations are made available twice a year:
- For all students with SPRING CONVOCATION, theses and dissertations are available in ERA: Education and Research Archive on JUNE 15 OF THE CONVOCATION YEAR. This is by policy of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
- For all students with FALL CONVOCATION, theses and dissertations are available in ERA: Education and Research Archive on NOVEMBER 15 OF THE CONVOCATION YEAR. This is by policy of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Dissertations and Theses @ University of Alberta (ProQuest):
UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA CONTENT COVERAGE UP TO MARCH 31, 2014
- PDF copies of many University of Alberta theses and dissertations, free to authorised users
- This database is a subset of ProQuest Dissertations and Theses
- Search Tips
FULL UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA CONTENT COVERAGE FROM APRIL 1, 2014
- Historically digitized collection of theses from 1966-2002 (selection of theses)
- All electronically submitted theses and dissertations April 2009 to present
- All thesis/dissertation content is freely and publically downloadable in PDF format
- Not 100% comprehensive, check also Dissertations and Theses @ University of Alberta
You can search the library catalogue to find paper copies of theses.
Theses and some other items housed in the Book and Record Depository (BARD) have “non-loan” status, which means that they cannot be checked out and removed from the library. However, these items can be requested for use in the Reading Room in the Peel Library. Should you wish to access non-circulating material from the Book and Record Depository (BARD), please contact the Peel Library at email@example.com or drop-in to make arrangements for the transfer of non-circulating item(s) to the Peel Library for your use.
Find Theses and Dissertations Authored Elsewhere
Electronic copies/Thesis and Dissertation Indexes
- OATD.org aims to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world. Metadata (information about the theses) comes from over 1000 colleges, universities, and research institutions.
- Over 220,000 Canadian records as of March 2015
- Electronic copies of Canadian theses and dissertations published from 1998 to the present.
- More than 300,000 Canadian theses and dissertations on microfiche and available to borrow through an interlibrary loan
- Europe E-theses Portal (DEEP)
NDLTD (Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations)
- Strong North American representation
EThOS (Electronic Theses Online Service)
- United Kingdom theses from the British Library
- United Kingdom and Ireland
- English-language PhD dissertations from Sweden
OpenDOAR (Directory of Open Access Resources)
- Search for or within institutional repositories
- Strong European representation
- Search across Australia and New Zealand's universities
- International theses and dissertations
- Focus on sciences
- A digitized index of nearly 100,000 dissertations by title, author and school, from a twenty-two-year time period in American history
- Trawls institutional repositories, but will not find all available theses and dissertations.
- Evaluate sources found on the open web carefully. For more information about assessing internet sources, see Critical Evaluation of Internet Resources
- Free service
- University of Alberta faculty, staff and students may request a loan through the university's Interlibrary Loans department
- Availability is dependent on the circulation policy of the holding library
- Requests can take 3-5 weeks to fill
- UMI Dissertation Express
- Unbound paper and microfiche copies may be purchased at a discounted price through Interlibrary Loans
Bibliographies of Theses and Dissertations
University of Alberta Libraries has bibliographies in its collections that can further assist with locating theses and dissertations. Please click on this link to generate a search in our Library catalogue to find such bibliographies.
- Proquest Dissertations and Theses: Full Text
- Click "More search options" to show the "Document language" dropbox
Spanish and Portuguese:
- CyberTesis - Tesis electrónicas en línea,
- Tesis españolas sobre América Latina, and
- Dialnet (Spain and Latin America)
- TESIS ELECTRÓNICAS - UNAM
- Theses and Dissertations in Spain and Portugal
- Biblioteca Digital Brasileira de Teses e Dissertaçoes