The resources below provide access to Canadian legal cases and commentary. For more resources, visit the Legal Research Guide.
CanLII: The Canadian Legal Information Institute CanLII is a non-profit organization that has been engaged by the law societies of Canada that are members of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada to establish, operate, maintain and provide to the law societies a website dedicated to providing continuous access to a virtual library of Canadian legal information. CanLII's goal is to make Canadian law accessible on the Internet.
WestlawNextCanada Also known as: |Westlaw eCarswell|Westlaw Canada|
Our WestlawNextCanada subscription provides access to legal materials from Canada.Once you have opened WestlawNextCanada, access Canadian legal materials by clicking on LawSource. LawSource provides comprehensive coverage of Canadian primary law - legislation and court decisions - from across the country and on all legal topics, as well as secondary source commentary on all areas of law, from a variety of Canadian legal journals, books, and other sources. Complementing the broad coverage of LawSource are a number of subject-specific "Sources" that bring together relevant materials on that topic, and may include specialized sources unique to that area of law that are not available through LawSource, currently as follows:
(Please note: WestlawNextCanada's new faceted search interface is currently in use only for the Canadian products such as LawSource Our WestlawNextCanada subscription provides access to legal materials from Canada.
- CriminalSource: criminal, constitutional, evidence, and immigration cases from all Canadian jurisdictions.
- Estates&TrustsSource: estates and trusts law, and secondary legal materials such as the leading treatises, articles, articles, case comments and newsletters.
- FamilySource: family-related law, including case law and legislation in Canada, plus comprehensive secondary legal materials, such as the case comments from law reports and case summaries from the Canadian Abridgment.
- IPSource: legislation and regulations in the areas of intellectual property, information technology and electronic-commerce law, as well as commentary, treatises, journal articles and current awareness tools.
- InsolvencySource: bankruptcy, insolvency, restructuring and personal property security law in Canada; other primary law sources such as legislation and policy documents, as well as secondary sources such as the case comments from various law reports.
- SecuritiesSource: regulatory material from securities commissions, stock exchanges, and other self-regulating organizations; relevant legislation and regulations, forms, and policy documents, as well as relevant case law, rulings and commentary from all Canadian jurisdictions, for topics such as bankruptcy, insolvency, restructuring and personal property security law in Canada. Secondary source commentary and case comments from various law reports..
CriminalSource Also known as: |Criminal Source|Canadian Criminal Law Library|Criminal Spectrum| Criminal Source provides search access to criminal, constitutional,
evidence and immigration cases from all Canadian jurisdictions. Primary
sources include case law and legislation. Secondary sources include
Commentary and Annotations , WattÕs Manual of Criminal Evidence, Disclosure and Production in Criminal Cases by Segal and Canadian Criminal Code Offences by Gibson.