This guide will help you find information on Indigenous topics.
Colonization and marginalization of Indigenous peoples means that information about them is often created by non-Indigenous people.
- who created the resource:
- Is the writer Indigenous?
- What is the author's worldview?
- why the resource was created:
- Who benefits from the research? An Indigenous community, an individual, an institution or the general public?
- when the resource was created:
- Is this an older resource? It may contain language and ideas that are considered harmful.
- What is the historical context of this resource? What was its intended purpose at the time of its creation?
- how the resource was created:
- Did the writer consult an Indigenous community?
- What methods were used to gather the information?
- Was the research made available to the Indigenous communities that participated in the study?
For help with your research contact us via chat, phone, or email -- or visit us at a library help desk!